What type of car do you have (irl)

no I have not, its a newcomer ^^

2 Likes

one sec im putting this into chatgptā€™s summarizer

2 Likes

LOL

1 Like

2014 Audi A5 2wd Premium Plus Cabriolet, with the CVT transmission and 2 liter 220 hp inline-four
One of my parentsā€™ old car, they gave it to me for my 16th when they got a new one (a rivian r1t) and I was very happi

3 Likes

My parents have a 2012 prius v
i might get it soon

1 Like

My parents donā€™t drive :sob::sob:
Iā€™ve still gotta wait 4 years before I can start driving

3 Likes

ā€¦with a CVT?
aw manā€¦
I can only legally have a car in 2 years or so, but I bet Iā€™d pick a Japanese compact of some sort (most likely a Civic)

2 Likes

Yeah, it was a bit of a letdown until I started messing around with the sport mode (which makes the CVT behave like an auto geared to sports settings and will rev like hell up to like 4-6k rpm before shifting based on throttle input) and the sequential shifting mode which allows me to shift with the gear shifter handle and is great fun when I do pulls, and honestly I donā€™t even miss it bc it comes with the pros of good fuel economy and smooth, chill driving when I want it but the small con of less driving feel in smooth driving and occasional transmission slip

3 Likes

yeahhh car CVTs are an oddball. ive never liked them much and they typically are plagued with problems
i have a racing CVT in my four wheeler and that mf is durable as hell. ive shattered the bell housing (drive chain shattered and wrapped around the drive gear 6 times and thus pried the housing open violently) which leaked all the fluid out. slapped a new case on it runs fine.
Could be weight difference idk but car CVTs seem to be junk

2 Likes

although they are a nice blend of performance and economy but are not stellar in either category

2 Likes

Yeah, it was a big bummer when I first found out the car had one, even tho it did turn out to be better than I expected if there was one thing I could change on the car it would be that but
Occasionally idk what exactly will happen but itā€™ll be like the transmission is slipping, and Iā€™ll put my foot down and the car would rev (its an auto btw) but power wouldnt go to the wheels for a moment until it finally gets there and the car would lurch forward, this often would happen when I would be starting out from a park and I always found it kinda weird
I do wish we got that 8 speed but it was like 2 grand extra lol, if I want to have fun I can put it in sport which mimics a real transmission anyways
Iā€™m surprised they arent better for economy tho, why is that? It seems to keep the rpms low all the time really well (even when I put my foot down it goes to maybe 4k max on a pull) and I figured it would make a difference (I get around 30 mpg max on cross streets btw)

3 Likes

Someday though (though this would obv take years, this would be when I start earning) Iā€™d love to upgrade to this, the rs5 of the same gen
Last gen with the v8 too and since itā€™s also an a5 cabriolet albeit on steroids, if I eventually do buy it itā€™ll be a massive dose of nostalgia to my high school days and also to my childhood when my family still owned the car I drive today (weā€™ve had it since I was like 7)

4 Likes

CVTs are either belt or chain driven for the continuous variation of gearing and torque conversion, so it could easily have been the chain and/or belts in the transmission going bad.

2 Likes

thats a nice childhood car, hah better than our old silverado in many ways minus reliability and gas pricing

2 Likes

our silverado has seen its better days LOL its going on 500k now

2 Likes

And i thought our prius had a lot of miles (230k over 12 years)

2 Likes

230k is a lot by todays standards, most new vehicles dont last near that long and end up either impounded or a blown up motor
toyotas can last quite awhile though

2 Likes

admittingly, toyotas are superior to buick, pontiac etc in some ways including often the interior ergonomics and overall quality and transmissions although GM does have stronger ones in their trucks and sports cars

that prius, if taken decent care ofā€“should last you another 100k or so. possibly more depending on the year and trim

2 Likes

i mean the blockā€™s cracked, but hey, it runs so weā€™re going to run it until it reaches 250k

2 Likes

oh damn the block is gone? ā€¦ how did that happen???

2 Likes