Petrol or electric car

In everyday driving context, electric is ofc more efficient

2 Likes

You all are gonna hate me for saying this but I think electric will be the way to go in the future

So what if the cars have no soul, their performance numbers are incredible and they require much less maintenance for their motors than internal combustion engines. They step down our carbon emissions to much lower levels than gas cars do at the moment. The lithium ion batter production does still emit lots of CO2, but not nearly as much as your average corolla or something. They are also a lifesaver in the hellhole that is gas prices, because they can be charged directly from your house.

While electric cars have their problems at the moment, mainly range, charging, and build quality, they are a recent development in technology, and if we keep developing them, we will get to the point where they become more convenient and a final substitution for ICE cars.

All we lose is the sound and manual transmissions, its a fairly small sacrifice

3 Likes

agreed
porscheā€™s synthetic fuel is worth considering first tho

2 Likes

^mhm

1 Like

I agree they will likely (hopefully, in their developers part) get better
however I disagree about maintenance costs. Their motors cost nearly as much as the car itself to replace when they break, which is after a short time

2 Likes

I prefer hydrogen cars

1 Like

Iā€™ve checked a couple of sources on this and hereā€™s what I found

Electric motors have much less moving parts than ICEs which leads them to be more reliable and typically less costly to maintain and service

Hereā€™s a graph of the VW ID.3 vs what iā€™m assuming is the MK8 Golf R

Under normal operating conditions, electric motors will last up to 300,000 miles (15-20 years), which is more than an ICE at about 200,000 miles (10 years)

Now iā€™m assuming there are freak incidents where a motor exploded or something, but we see these with ICEs as well.

Only major problem I can think of in terms of maintenance is with the lithium ion batteries, due to the fact that they are extremely flammable due to lithiumā€™s reactive nature to moisture

4 Likes

Also if 1 battery in the lithium batter is damaged then you will never find the damage battery

3 Likes

good research BTW! I like it
Yes those are all good points. 300,000 miles pales in comparison though compared to some of the more reliable engines such as buick V6 engines, LS engines, various 4 cylinder toyota engines (and 1 or 2 V6 engines) most of the foremost which can last over half a million miles
youā€™re not wrong though electric is much more efficient. Electric certainly has benefits in regards to power to weight and whatnot but for sheer range potential and durability potential I would say petrol takes the cake for those things.

(although) and of course though they are two very different things that are better at different jobs indeed. They are both good I would say, for different things.

3 Likes

there are of course various systems that go with petrol engines that -can- break so theres that (like cooling systems, AC regulators, radiators etc)

3 Likes

electric engines do have means of cooling although they do have less components. However with some designs on both ends, those things are often separate from the motor itself but it depends on make and model

3 Likes

Hopefully in the near future we will see electric motors become as reliable as the engines you mentioned above

3 Likes

And yes I agree about the range, although itā€™s improving every year

My personal complaint is with the ditching of analog controls for minimalist interiors. We got a new Model Y a few days ago and struggled to even do some basic tasks

Opening the glove box requires navigating through menus, steering wheel adjustment required navigating through menus, A/C control is really weird, like you can see a trend here

I wouldnā€™t mind some analog buttons too you know

3 Likes

I test drove the model Y with my family and the lack of a conventional speedo is so stupid
They have the speedo in the corner of the screen in the center, so the driver has to glance away to look at the cars speed
Itā€™s basically just innovation for the sake of innovation, itā€™s pretty stupid imo
A better solution wouldā€™ve been a heads-up display, we have one in our x5 and we love it, itā€™s so useful

2 Likes

strongly agreed -_-

3 Likes

@RedNaz is that your family?

1 Like

ļ¼Ÿ

2 Likes

the face

1 Like

what face

2 Likes

1 Like