North American Eagle

North American Eagle
This car was supposed to break the speed record of the Thrust SSC, but sadly never did. You may think it looks like a plane and that’s because it is a plane. It uses the fuselage of a Lockheed F-104 Starfighter fighter jet flown by famous pilots and used by NASA as a chase plane.

10 Likes

the Starfighter has poor handling and, due to the shape of the hull, poor downforce. It would be interesting to see on the basis of SR-72

1 Like

I know about the poor handling but that has nothing to do with the succes off the supersonic vehicle. Because that’s because of the way to small wings which as u can see are gone. The horizontal stabilizer is gone so apparently downforce from that isn’t needed. The fuselage is placed at an angle which also produces downforce. As far as we know the sr.72 is not a real plane it’s a fictional reconissance plane from top gun maverick. Do you mean the sr.71 blackbird by any chance?

1 Like

SR-72 successor to 71, 71 is good too. The plane on the steering wheel and takeoff and landing in the sense is a jet car. The F-104 had problems during takeoff and landing. But then it was believed that in the event of a world war, the main thing is to take off, and then how lucky. F-9 cougar and Phantom are much better in taxiing. SR-72 is fictional, but it is possible that something similar exists in reality. Screw rod assembly type as in the link )) US Tests Top SECRET Hypersonic Aircraft to Beat SR-72 - YouTube

1 Like

Yes I know about sr.72 rumours but I haven’t seen any real concrete evidence. Mainly the starfighters issues were those stubby wings which didnt give it good stall charectaristics, the main focus of the aircraft was speed which is the only thing it excelled in. Especially the turning radius was horrible. The f-9 was very outdated when the f-104 and f-4 served though.

1 Like

Still, the ground starfighter is impressive. Thank you. Reminds me of a scene from Mad Max

1 Like

I never watched mad max so I dont know.

1 Like

my “motor” from a vertical takeoff shipplane. With a diameter of 1.3-1.35 m, will this fit? (Also the original F-135 after finishing in 2022)

vwpt37b_prattandwhitney_promo

1 Like

2 Likes